Friday, November 9, 2007

Chrysler Axes Four Models

If you haven't heard the news, last week Chrysler put the death blow on four of its slowest selling models. The Pacifica, PT Cruiser Convertible, Magnum, and the Crossfire which will end their production sometime next year.

I agree with most of their cuts except for the Pacifica. I've always like this big family CUV. I had a chance to drive one a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. The overall minivan look never took off with a large group of customers, nor the sluggish 3.5 liter V6, which now is 4.0 liters. The Pacifica had a better interior than any of Chrysler's recent cars or trucks.

Chrysler could stand to add a few more cars to the chopping block, like the Jeep Compass, Dodge Durango, and Serbring and convertible. The Compass is just a softer designed Jeep Patriot, I can't remember the last time I saw a new Dodge Durango or the piecemeal, disjointedly designed Serbring.

Althogether, I think this is a good move in the right direction. Hopefully, Chrysler can turn itself around before the axe falls on the whole company.

-A. Carter